Trek To Bhimashankar
Sale Date Ended
TreksandTrails is going to Bhimashankar for an overnight trek on 25 - 26 July 2015
Summary: Overnight trek to Bhimashankar on 25 -26 July 2015
Height: 3296 ft
Grade: Medium – tuff
Assembly: Neral Railway Station
Time: Approx. 4.5 hrs from Khandas, base village.
Duration: 2 Days and 1 Night.
Location: Nagar District.
Contribution: Rs 1500.00
Places to See
Lord Shiva Temple: Bhimashankar Temple is located in the village of Bhorgiri 50 km North West of Khed, near Pune. There is a beautiful temple of Lord Shiva which is one of the 12 Jyotirlingas in India. It is a modest yet graceful temple and it dates back to mid 18th century. The shikhara of the temple was built by Nana Phadnavis. This temple is closely associated with the legend of Shivaraj Khade slaying the demon Tripurasura associated with the invincible flying citadels Tripuras. Shiva is said to have taken abode in the Bhima form, upon the request of the Gods, on the crest of the Sahyadri hills, and the sweat that poured forth from his body after the battle is said to have formed the Bhimarathi River. Bhimashankar is also the source of the Bhima River, which flows south east and merges with the Krishna River near Raichur. Trek to Bhimashankar can be easliy done as its near Mumbai.A big size bell in Hemadpanthi structure: - Built by Nana Phadanavis is also a feature of Bhimashankar.Hanuman Lake, Gupt Bhimashankar, Sakshi Vinayak, Origin of River Bhima, Nag Phani from where one can see the view of the Peth fort and Padhar, Bombay Point, and lot more. Bhimashankar is conserved forest area and wildlife sanctuary where a variety of birds, animals, flowers, plants can be seen. A rare animal "Shekru" can be found in deep woods. Bhimashankar is worth visited for jungle lovers and trekkers as well as for pilgrims.
Routes to Bhimashankar
There are two routes to Bhimashankar from the base village of Khandas, which are most popular among trekkers.
1. Ganesh Ghat: There is a bridge around 2 km from Khandas, and the track going to the right from the bridge is the Ganesh Ghat route. This is the easiest and the longest route to Bhimashankar. Within an hour of trekking along this route you will reach a Ganesh temple. The route ahead will take around 3 hours until you reach the plateau of Bhimashankar, there is a small pond dug out in the ground called 'Hanuman Tal'. This trek is four hours to five hours long.
2. Shidi (ladder) Route: This one is a shorter route, but difficult especially in the monsoons. The route gets its name from the ladders placed on the steepest parts. The route going to the left of the bridge (mentioned in Ganesh ghat) goes to the village. On moving ahead you will reach a well, take a left from there to Shidi ghat. Within the first two hours of climbing you will pass three ladders. You will reach a junction where both the routes - Ganesh ghat and Shidi ghat – merge.
There are many huts providing food and tea in middle of trek route. A further 1 ½ hour trek takes us besides a pond. The road, which goes to the left from this pond, takes us to the temple.
Participants are requested to travel till Neral by Karjat local as recommended below:
Mumbai CST 04:40
TreksandTrails itinerary forBhimashankar for a overnight trek on 25 -26 July 2015
07:00 Assemble at Neral Railway Station [Ticket Counter Platform No.1]
07:15 General Instructions/Introduction/ orientations
07:30 Travel Neral to Khandas by tumtum.
09:00 Reach Khandas & have breakfast.
09:45 start our Bhimashankar trek.
12:30 to carry lunch for first day
14:30 Reach Bhimashankar. Visit Bhimashankar temple.
06:00 Wake up & fresh up.
0730 Visit Gupta Bhimashankar and other site seeing places.
12:30 Lunch at Bhimashankar,
13:30 Start descends.
16:00 Reach Khandas.
1630 Evening tea
16:45 Travel Khandas to Karjat.
18:30 Disperse at Karjat
TreksandTrails suggested List of Items
Snugly fitting canvas shoes / Sports shoes
Rucksack / Shoulder bag which can hold following items
Pack your stuff with an extra polythene lining to protect the contents from rain.
Water Bottle (3lts minimum) compulsory ** Torch with spare set of batteries
Cap, Spare Cotton Track pant & T- shirt. Waterproof jacket / raincoat [It may rain]
Personal medical kit (personal medicines if any, prescribed by family Dr.).
Personal bedding, Sleeping Bag / 2Bed sheet & Carry mat
Torch with spare set of batteries, Light weight towel. Plate, Glass, Mug/ cup, spoon.
Sewing kit, spare shoes laces, Safety pins. **Carry one time meal for the trek. **
Travelling from Neral to Khandas & Khandas to Karjat.
2 meals, 2 breakfast & 1refreshment.
TreksandTrails charges if any. ***No plastic littering on the way or in hills/mountains. *** Telephonic confirmation is required to confirm your participation.
For Registration transfer Rs.1500.00 per person in the given a/c
Bank Name: State Bank of India
Account No: 32248535175
Account Name Mr. Rajesh Mhaddalkar
IFSC Code: SBIN0014771
Kindly carry 1 Identity proof at least for the trek. It’s not a PICNIC or LEISURE TOUR.
We all are going for an adventurous and interesting trekking exploration.
The leader’s decision will be final and all the members should abide by it.
Do not destroy or dirty the archaeological, historical monuments.
Any kind of addiction is strictly prohibited, e.g. drinking, smoking.
Please do not carry or wear any valuables, ornaments, jewellery, etc. If carried, then we Do Not take any liability for the same. Rock Climbing, Rappelling, Trekking or any adventure activity is potentially risky. For all these events you are at your own risk. Organizers are not responsible for any accident or compensation in whatsoever manner. We should strictly follow the code of conduct, to avoid troubling our fellow trekkers or other people from our group or even local people.
1. Smoking and drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited.
2. Trek leader’s decision will be final and binding.
3. TreksandTrails reserves all the right to change/deviate/cancel the plans without prior notice.
4. Telephonic confirmation is mandatory, if unable to contact...send a text message.
5. Sleeveless, low neck, figure hugging shirts/tops, short pants, hot pants not allowed.
6. Please avoid wearing Gold and other jewellery (at own risk)
7. Please do not carry handbags or Jolas or Sling bags on treks.
Follow us: https://twitter.com/treksNtrailsInd
Call for confirmations:
Rajesh Mhaddalkar +919869629288 / +919768341848 (Trek Leader)
Ankit Savla +919821912078 (Media / Corporate inquires 10.00 am to 07.00 pm)
Yahya Virani +919768143706