Objective of this course is to introduce students Chef fundamentals, Infrastructure as a Code. To make them familiar with the core concepts, and help getting started expressing solutions to thier own infrastructrure management problems with chef primitives.
Is this for me?
This course is suitable for you if you are a,
- System Administrator, or
- QA Engineer
- Operations Engineer, or
- Build and Release Engineer, or
- Site Reliability Engineer, or
- Automation Engineer, or
- in a similar ops/systems related roles And have atleast 2 years of experience with either administering IT infrastructure/applications or with automation
What do I need to know before attending?
- Basic understanding of linux/unix system concepts
- Familiarity with Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Familiarity with a Text Editor
- Experience with managing systems/applications/infrastructure or with deployments/automation
What will this course cover?
- Introduction to Chef Configuration Managment Framework
- Setting up Learning Environment with Vagrant and Virtualbox
- Hosted Chef Server and Workstation Setup. Knife CLI client
- Chef Node Setup and Bootstrap
- Fundamental building blocks of Chef : Writing Resources and Recipes
- Going Modular with Cookbooks
- Adding dynamic data with Attributes, Ohai and Templates
- Data Bags
- Using Community Cookbooks
Do I bring my own laptop to the class?
Yes. You will need to carry your own laptop to the class. We will provide you with all the softwares required and help you configure it. Wifi access will be provided.
What will I be able to do after attending this course?
After completing this course you shall be able to
- Automate Common Infrastrucutre Tasks with Chef
- Write Simple Cookbooks
- Understand various primitives offered by Chef
- Understand Chef Server vs Chef Solo
- Start Managing Nodes in your own infrastructure with Chef
What are the next steps after this course?
After you complete this course you consider following action, possibly in the order specified.
- Start applying knowledge gained to automate your infrastructure
- Start writing your own cookbooks and customizing community ones
- Consider Chef Advanced Course if required