Empresario is the annual Business Plan competition organized by E-Cell. The participants get mentored by some top notch professionals in the field from all over the world. The finalists get to pitch in front of India's biggest VCs through the elevator pitch organized by E Cell as a part of Global Entrepreneurship Summit in the month of January every year. The winners received a total prize money of INR 6 Lacs last year and the top 3 teams with social business model got direct entry into the semi-finals of Dell Social Innovation Challenge organised by University of Texas, Austin USA. The finalists will also get huge Media Coverage at Global Entrepreneurship Summit through our TV and Print Media partners.
E-Cell, IIT Kharagpur being based in a technical university also conducts an annual product design competition Envision. The aim of this competition is to provide an arena where the next generation of blockbuster products can be showcased and to provide a platform for the winners to take their idea to the next level. As a part of Envision we invite new innovative products in following background:-
Mechanical: Do you think your design can beat the “Nano”? Do you have a design for the next generation biped robot? Then this path is for you.
Electronics & Electrical: Is the idea for the next iPod floating in your head? Do you dream about circuits in your sleep? Follow your heart, follow your path!
Information Technology & Software: A path much treaded upon, but there is still a lot of scope for innovation in this field. Animation, business analytics, process automation, IT is just getting started.
Life Sciences & Biotechnology: Does your product promise a greener tomorrow? Do you have the solution for the ever increasing oil prices? Well what are you waiting for, start moving.
Miscellaneous: Select this path if you are in a query over which path to select.
To participate just send us a technical write-up of your product design to firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline for submission is 30th october, 2013 .
We provide our shortlisted entries immense help in terms of mentorship and our winners also get a much sought after chance to pitch their ideas in front of some of India's biggest VCs and investors. Our mentor pool is rich and varied and has distinguished people from across different fields to help with every aspect of starting-up. Feasible products can get upto 45 lakhs worth of funding and mentorship from TePP. Envision ‘13 was sponsored by Microsoft and the prize money was INR 1.5 lakh.
We conduct our flagship event - Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES), the largest collegiate entrepreneurial summit in India every year in January. The final rounds of Empresario and Envision will be held during GES’14.
Some of the past student startups who were winners of empresario and envision are :-
1. Clenoventions - a start-up by students of IIT Kharagpur, offers a unique product "SolarEX", which harnesses the entire spectrum of the light giving an efficiency 44% compared to 10-12% in Solar PV and 25% in CSP technology. It also provides safe drinking water along with power generation, making it of utmost utility in rural India where millions of dollars are spent by Government every year for kerosene subsidy and safe drinking water. They were also semi-finalist at DSIC and finalist in Rice Business Plan Competition.
2. Roof For Two - A startup by a team from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, is a unique concept that can help solve the age-old problem of two-wheeler riders who ride daily through rain, sun and the cold. Roof for Two eliminates travel irritation with an affordable and stylish riding canopy. The product is a detachable, collapsible and lightweight motorcycle accessory compatible with most popular two-wheeler models now. With a growing two-wheeler market in India and an even faster growing middle class, the product promises to change the way India rides.
3. Social Cops - a start-up by a Team of Nanyang Technological University, Singapore is a web and mobile platform uses technology to bring together different community stakeholders- citizens, NGOs and local administration to solve civic problems ranging from uncleared garbage & potholes on the road to leaking drainages & dangerous electric poles. They were the winners at INDIAFRICA - A SHARED FUTURE Business Venture Competition and Runners up in Microsoft Imagine Cup 2012, Singapore.
4. Team Exile - a start-up by the students of IIT Kharagpur aims to mission is to apostrophize the never before addressed issues in the Minerals and Metals Industry. It was also one of the Kairos 50 startups held at New York Stock Exchange
5. Wavemax - A startup by the students of IIT Kharagpur is reinventing the way people interact with computers. Gesture controlled product for PCs and laptops. www.wavemac.com.