Sale Date Ended
SCREEN WRITING WORKSHOP - WRITING FOR FILMS
Session 1: (1 to 2 hours)
1. Story Narrative as a process.
2. Introduction to Narratology. Narrative cues: Role of Narrative Cues & Audience perception
3. Why is it important for a screenwriter to be aware of the process?
4. Story Design
Session 2: (3 hours)
ANATOMY of a screenplay
3. Scene, Sequence, Set-piece
5. Understanding Theme Identifying your story’s THEME
1. It’s all about the structure.
2. Introduction to Classic screenplay structures: 3 act structure, 4 part structure, Hero’s journey, structure in mainstream, so-called commercial movies in Tamil, etc...
3. Character Arc & Motivation
4. Character, Action & Theme
CONSTRUCTING A SCENE. Importance of, and Creating Dramatic Tension in scenes
Session 3: (1.5 hours)
1. Descriptions, definitions & usage of various terms:
2. Character names, Scene Headings, Montage, series of shots, camera directions (we see, shot of, camera pans, etc), parenthesis, Intercut with, voice over, action lines (length & descriptions), etc
3. Commonly made mistakes
Some practical problems faced by first-timers/amateurs:
1. How much to write? What and what not to write?
2. Show, don’t tell. Tell, don’t show.
3. Demonstration of writing a scene (with minimum sentences/words)
Session 4: (1 hour)
1. Introduction to some time-tested narrative strategies.
2. Three C’s of mainstream storytelling & other hacks for first timers.
3. How to approach short film scripts
Beyond the workshop
1. Studying/Analysing films
2. Finding inspiration
3. Write your own screenplay & other writing exercises