Velas Turtle Festival 14th and 15th March
Sale Date Ended
TreksandTrails invites you to Velas Turtle Festival 2015
Velas is a small fishing village on the western coast of Maharashtra. About 220km away from Mumbai, a little over a hundred houses on the coast of the Arabian sea. It is that time of the year again- when a tiny grey head pokes out of the golden sand and takes a breath of the fresh salty air of the Arabian Sea. It is a culmination of a lengthy process, which started when, under the cover of darkness, it’s mother emerged out from the rolling waves to lay her heap of 100-120 eggs on the sandy beach. Oblivious to the world that awaits it outside it’s sandy cocoon, the tiny hatchling is soon followed by a hundred others, all crawling their way towards the brightest lights of the horizon- in this case, the sea. TreksandTrails, invites you to this journey from the nest to the sea which draws oohs and aahs from tourists- each of whom is gathered on the shore to witness this miracle of Nature. The location is Velas, a remote village in Mandangad taluka in Ratnagiri district.
Conservation at Velas:
TreksandTrails, appreciates the great efforts been undertaken by local NGO-Sahyadri Nisarg Mitra, as they have borne fruit since 2002, each year all the nests on the western coast at Velas, Murud, Harnai, Dapoli and other sites are carefully protected and conserved to ensure both natural and human threats are reduced. All the eggs laid on the beach are collected and placed in a common hatchery which is barricaded from all sides and is guarded throughout the day. Each morning at 0700 and evening at 1730-1800 the baskets covering the lid are open to check if any turtles have hatched, if they have they are counted and carefully laid in another basket and taken closer to the sea. They are then gently placed on the sand and they slowly make their way to the water. Their first baby steps are not only endearing to watch but also important if it is a female, as she records in her memory the site of her birth only to return here after 15 years to lay her eggs.
• It is a conservation site visit and not a picnic.
• No plastic, don't litter or shout when the turtles are released.
• Wear sensible clothes, although it is a beach the locals are conservative and might take offence at beach attire suitable elsewhere.
• The route to the beach passes through a dirt track built over the mangroves, in the evenings it gets pitch dark and there are no street lights. Do carry a torch with you for such emergencies.
• Photography should be WITHOUT FLASH only.
• Turtle Hatchling is a Natural phenomenon and not guaranteed. Though efforts are made to increase our chances through this programme.
Travel by private non A/C vehicle. Pick up from centralized locations only.
Outing Duration: 2 Night and 2 Days.
Departure from Borivali (E) on Friday at 21:30 hours.
Trip contribution: Rs. 2100.00 per person.
Itinerary - Saturday
04:00 Early morning arrival at Velas.
06:00 Visit to Velas beach for turtle sighting
10:30 Visit to Bankot fort
13:00 Lunch & Rest
17:00 Visit to beach for turtle sightings
20:00 Dinner and Rest
Itinerary - Sunday
06:00 Visit to Velas beach for turtle sighting.
10:30 Depart for Harihareshwar temple.
14:30 Depart for Mumbai
• Accommodation in a typical Konkani house/dormitory.
• All Veg meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
• Sightseeing as per the schedule if any.
• Expertise & Guide Charges
• Ferryboat charges.
• All entry tickets and permissions
• Provision of primary first aid only.
• TreksandTrails administration charges if any.
* Non Veg Food
* Mineral water and any other item not mentioned in the included list
Maximum batch size is 25 travellers on first come first basis.
List of things required:
1. Haversack to keep hands free. Please carry a personal photo ID proof.
2. Water Bottle 3 lts. Please carry a personal sweater, extra bed sheets.
3. A good torch and extra batteries.
4. Camera (Optional), Personal medicines.
5. Please avoid wearing Gold and other costly jewellery (at own risk).
6. Electoral or Enerzyl Powder or Glucon D powder and some ready to eat snacks & biscuits.
7. Good trekking shoes, floaters, extra pair of clothes.
Hatchling sighting is not guaranteed. However care is taken maximize our chances.
One needs to deposit full payment of Rs 2100.00 into the following bank account to confirm his/her registration.
1. Smoking and drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited. Telephonic confirmation is mandatory. If unable to contact, send a text message.
2. Group leader decision will be final and binding. Payment is non-refundable and non-transferable
3. Treks and Trails India reserves all the right to change/deviate/cancel the plans without prior notice